I liked the presentation a lot, incorporating different multimedia was a great idea, really engaged and connected with the audience, especially since many of us had seen Midnight in Paris last year in AP Comp. However, on the premise of your research paper, I did have some questions and comments. Obviously, by going into an analysis of how and why Hemingway's 'economical style" is employed, you provide us with a great resource for the AP Literature Test, if we are ever required to conjure up some information on a specific author's style. However, where I disagreed with you was on some of the implications Hemingway's style has on his meaning. Definitely he emphasizes function over form - however, he might take his "economical" approach a little too radically, in my opinion. One of the areas I would have liked for you to address more is the vast ambiguity that Hemingway often shrouded upon his stories. If he adhered to his "iceberg theory", how could he be sure that the reader's interpretation was at least similar to the message that he was trying to convey? You claim that writers with more verbosity allow for "greater...propensity for the corruption of their work", but I would actually argue writer's like Tolstoy, who are painstakingly detailed, make sure that their message is airtight. Yes, this might result in less "vibrancy" in their voice, nor Hemingway's unique, extremely popular style, but I still believe that it doesn't equate into what you claimed.
Mohamed, Hemingway was my other option to research but I think you did a better job than I could. Your presentation was overall really great. I really liked how you made the format completely different from anyone else. You were able to keep me interested all of the twenty minutes. I also really enjoyed the short clips you introduced and you did a great job at advertising your blog. What especially intrigued me was that you included a link to an app that makes it possible to recreate Hemingway's still of writing. Since I am interested in studying journalism I was really interested in how Hemingway started as a journalist and then that helped his writing. I really enjoyed the beginning of your research paper because I can really grasp how important that one quote about writing a true sentence was carried on throughout all his writing. Like all your presentation you never failed to interest me and enlighten me about Hemingway and his writing.
Hey Mohamed,
ReplyDeleteI liked the presentation a lot, incorporating different multimedia was a great idea, really engaged and connected with the audience, especially since many of us had seen Midnight in Paris last year in AP Comp. However, on the premise of your research paper, I did have some questions and comments. Obviously, by going into an analysis of how and why Hemingway's 'economical style" is employed, you provide us with a great resource for the AP Literature Test, if we are ever required to conjure up some information on a specific author's style. However, where I disagreed with you was on some of the implications Hemingway's style has on his meaning. Definitely he emphasizes function over form - however, he might take his "economical" approach a little too radically, in my opinion. One of the areas I would have liked for you to address more is the vast ambiguity that Hemingway often shrouded upon his stories. If he adhered to his "iceberg theory", how could he be sure that the reader's interpretation was at least similar to the message that he was trying to convey? You claim that writers with more verbosity allow for "greater...propensity for the corruption of their work", but I would actually argue writer's like Tolstoy, who are painstakingly detailed, make sure that their message is airtight. Yes, this might result in less "vibrancy" in their voice, nor Hemingway's unique, extremely popular style, but I still believe that it doesn't equate into what you claimed.
Otherwise, I loved it. Great job!
Harsha
Mohamed, Hemingway was my other option to research but I think you did a better job than I could. Your presentation was overall really great. I really liked how you made the format completely different from anyone else. You were able to keep me interested all of the twenty minutes. I also really enjoyed the short clips you introduced and you did a great job at advertising your blog. What especially intrigued me was that you included a link to an app that makes it possible to recreate Hemingway's still of writing. Since I am interested in studying journalism I was really interested in how Hemingway started as a journalist and then that helped his writing. I really enjoyed the beginning of your research paper because I can really grasp how important that one quote about writing a true sentence was carried on throughout all his writing. Like all your presentation you never failed to interest me and enlighten me about Hemingway and his writing.
ReplyDelete