Wednesday, February 19, 2014

3. Presentation

4 comments:

  1. I am a huge Hemingway fan and was therefore quite intrigued by your presentation. One point that you made was that dialogue was used to develop the plots of his stories. This is an interesting point to make because often in Hemingway's works (especially his short stories) he tends to make a large chunk of it dialogue with very succinct phrases introducing or concluding each piece of speech. This connects strongly with the iceberg view on writing that Hemingway believed in that you touched on in your presentation. I had never heard of it before you shared it with the class and it made total sense. That's the whole reason he uses somewhat ambiguous dialogue.
    My author, J.D. Salinger, also heavily relies on dialogue to run the plot so I was very keen on what you said in your presentation about it. One large difference, though, is that Salinger is very clear about what he is talking about and, as one might say, has more of a titanic view of writing. Most of the meaning in Salinger's works, unlike Hemingway, are revealed in either dialogue or description.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I leave for college, I plan to redevelop the habit of reading, and one of the main authors I want to focus on is the influential author Hemingway. Thank you for presenting Hemingway through certain “Midnight in Paris” film sections; they not only brought back memories from junior year, but provided a humorous introduction and closing to a well-researched presentation. I especially like your introduction and sampling of Hemingway’s distinct language and style, highlighting his short sentences, elimination of superfluous words, lack of adjectives—making his writing style both bare yet intriguing. Your “Iceberg technique” slide captured the essence of Hemingway’s style: the need to dig deeper in order to truly experience all that Hemingway has to offer.

    I suppose the main thing that comes to mind when discussing Hemingway is the “Hemingway Hero”, that of a true man. The brute honesty and war experiences of Hemingway taught him honor, and that type of honor (one of a true man) is what other characters in today’s world and literature are compared to. When I think of my first book, The Road by Cormac McCarthy, I consider the father a true man—one who dies for his son in order to preserve humanity and hope throughout the novel. I find it quite interesting how honor is placed at the pinnacle, over life/death, in defining a man’s identity. Overall, I appreciate the evident research and knowledge that you presented for the class; it definitely benefited my limited understanding of Hemingway and made me evaluate the degree of a “Hemingway Hero” I see within myself in my own life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mohamed! Your Hemingway presentation was quite entertaining. I loved the Midnight in Paris videos with Hemingway and it definitely kept your audience engaged, as well as providing comedic relief. I thought it was interesting how you found an app that is able to critique your own sentences to mimic Hemingway’s style of writing. It just goes to show how much research you have done! The tweet was also very clever, in which you took a quote from Hemingway himself. I was wondering what you thought Hemingway meant when he said to write the word “truest” sentence he knew. What does that mean to you, and if it is similar to what Hemingway meant? Do you believe that he uses “truest” in a way to comment on the world, much like J.D Salinger did in his works?
    The iceberg theory was something I was introduced to in your presentation. Although we have viewed a similar theory, Hemingway’s iceberg opened my eyes to Hemingway’s views on literature. Do you believe in this theory as Hemingway does? I like how you incorporated Hemingway’s past, such as World War II, and how it influences his works. Thank you for introducing a new way of viewing and thinking about literature!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly, the name of your presentation is very captivating. Once you explained the meaning it was also humorous. Good job with a tough author! Hemingway is one of those authors that I have always heard about and heard references too but unfortunately I've never read any of his work, besides short stories. You focused heavily on his sentence structure, which seemed like an important part of him as an author. You characterized him very well and made it evident that his personality influenced his writing a lot. The background you included about his experience of war also seemed to play a main role in his writing and was equally interesting to hear about.

    It was nice to have to iceberg theory reintegrated into our work because we haven't addressed in a while. The idea that Hemingway keeps a lot below makes sense because that seemed to be his personality. You chose good excerpts that showed all of what you were trying convey in writing. I would say you may have wanted to explain the plot of your book more because sometimes it's hard to understand major themes when we don't understand the context of the book. My takeaway was basically the essence of Hemingway's work was to convey the idea of a true man and use simplistic sentences to show a much deeper meaning. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete